Higher Education Publishing Sales Representative
We are FlatWorld and we are disrupting the textbook industry.
About the company
Our mission is to bring textbook prices back down to earth. We produce high quality college textbooks at affordable prices. With the publishing industry dominated by just a few players, textbook prices have grown tremendously and the overall model has become flawed. Our growing library of over 135 customizable, digital-first textbooks and Homework, included at no additional charge for the students, puts the instructor in control from the start and removes some of the barriers to students having the right text in their hands.
About the job and team
You will be responsible for finding and closing new business throughout your territory. In this sales role, you will call on individual instructors and committees of instructors, across multiple disciplines and a variety of institutions. You will build an effective plan and a clear strategy for maximizing your time, energy, and resources, in order to uncover open opportunities, identify key decision makers, and follow-up with those opportunities to make sure the business closes. Your focus is almost entirely on driving new business, but may include upgrading some existing customers to our new Homework System. You will work closely with our external and internal team providing feedback to assist in winning business and spreading the reach of FlatWorld. We are committed to providing our customers with A+ service, and it all starts with the people on the team.
FlatWorld is scrappy and we want to build a team of motivated and experienced sales people who are hungry to help us reach our ambitious sales goals. You are resourceful and resilient, able to handle rejection when it happens and move on to the next opportunity. You stay focused and solve problems, working independently, while also sharing your feedback with the team. You ask thoughtful questions to open business and connect with potential customers. You have a strong internal drive to be successful.
You must be smart, high-energy, and open-to-learning new things. You are a natural sales-person who is eager to be part of building something different within higher education.
You are an experienced sales rep in the higher education publishing industry, eager to operate differently and build a solution that puts students and faculty first.
- Identify key decision makers, uncover new opportunities, and close business
- Identify large committees and work through committee review process to win new business
- Visit campus and meet with potential adopters about FlatWorld products
- Upgrade existing adopters to FlatWorld Homework
- Create and execute strategic marketing and territory plans
- Attain and surpass sales goals with a proven ability to advance the sale and build relationships to help grow and expand the brand
- Work with sales, marketing, and product developers to drive the mission and communicate to prospective customers our value proposition and solutions
- Prioritize customer targets and ensure availability and visibility of FlatWorld publications
- Learn independently; conduct research through a variety of means with the ability to synthesize and apply information to assist in the growth of your territory and FlatWorld
- Work remotely; travel can be by air and ground, up to 50% depending on territory
- Manage company resources in compliance to standards, including company credit card, equipment, and resources
- Bachelor's Degree from an Accredited College or University
- Successful sales experience preferable
- Excellent planning, prioritization, and follow through
- Ability to forge relationships internally and externally
- Ability to work with and maintain a sense of urgency
- Technologically comfortable, including demoing FlatWorld platform to potential customers and use of CRM (SalesForce) and Microsoft software (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel)
- Comfortable traveling to and navigating college campuses each day, carrying sample textbooks and marketing materials throughout the day
- Flexibility for travel & valid driver’s license
Base salary, commensurate with experience, plus commission
How to apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.