To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We are FlatWorld and we are disrupting the college textbook industry.
About the Company
Our mission is to bring textbook prices back down to earth. College professors are our customers. We make their lives easier by ensuring that their students have access to our high-quality, digital-first textbooks, at prices they can afford. We are growing rapidly.
About the Role
As the Operations Coordinator, you will work directly with the COO/CFO to ensure that all company operations run smoothly. You will be doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work to support the sales, editorial, customer service, and marketing teams, as well as acting as a central point of contact for all employee questions and concerns.
In this role, you will be performing a wide variety of tasks, from processing, analyzing, and distributing royalties, to monitoring and maintaining inventory levels, to helping onboard and offboard new and departing employees. You will be in communication with every employee in the company to varying degrees, and you will work closely with external partners, including FlatWorld’s authors.
You will develop great firsthand experience of all aspects of a smaller, fast-growing business, perhaps to see which areas you are most interested in as you build your career. This is the ideal position for someone thinking of heading to graduate school in a couple of years – you will learn a lot and differentiate yourself from crowds of applicants pursuing the consulting/investment banking career track, while getting senior leaders to support your applications.
This is an entry-level position, and no prior experience is necessary, although relevant background is a plus. You will be a good fit for this job if you demonstrate a strong attention to detail, a professional and responsive communication style, and are willing to be the go-to person for your co-workers. This is a great role for someone interested in learning all aspects of a company and becoming familiar with a wide array of internal processes and teams. You also:
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in English-language business writing
- Are extremely organized and can handle many differing tasks at once
- Have excellent time-management skills
- Are very comfortable using a Mac and many different programs/applications
- Enjoy working with numbers
- Are proficient/advanced in Google Suite and Microsoft Excel and Word
- Feel comfortable reading and writing basic contracts and proposals
- Are self-sufficient but also work well in teams
- Feel comfortable teaching yourself programs and processes with little formal guidance
- Have a strategic mindset, with the ability to see the big picture as well as smaller details
- Printed textbook management: daily monitoring of inventory; maintenance of pending orders; working to supply bookstores, uploading files as new books are published/errata is made.
- Amazon Seller’s Marketplace management: upload new titles; monitor inventory; oversee any account health issues; respond to customer inquiries.
- Editorial support: manage various aspects of the creation and development of textbook catalog pages; oversee Airtable project management platform; communicate with authors when a new title is signed; coordinate author video meetings with sales reps.
- Author Royalties: process royalties every quarter; create analysis spreadsheet for management team; upload new titles and contract terms into system; distribute royalty statements to authors.
- Sales Representative support: create commission reports; approve expense reports; coordinate conference attendance; order and monitor merchandise to be handed out to faculty.
- Customer Service support: review and approve refund requests; maintain phone system.
- Finance support: process large and small data sets from institutions in Excel; assists in the updating of tax information in various states; process customer credit card disputes.
- Human Resources: onboard and offboard new and departing employees; manage assets company-wide; run time-off system and answer any questions; train employees on various systems.
- Administrative/Operational: schedule company meetings; organize and plan yearly company off-site meeting; maintain company calendar; direct employee questions to the correct person; work with Tech team to implement improvements to FlatWorld website/systems.