General, Organic, and Biological ChemistryVersion 2.0 By: David W. Ball, John W. Hill, and Rhonda J. Scott
- Minimizes student math anxiety and increases learners' comprehension by:
- Employing a clear and consistent problem-solving style for mathematical problems.
- Emphasizing units of quantities and how they work out in algebraic treatments.
- Each chapter is structured with helpful learning components:
- “Learning Objectives” organized by section.
- “Skill-Building Exercises” follow each example problem to help students immediately practice the skill they have learned while it is still fresh in their memories.
- “Concept Review Exercises” focus on key ideas from the preceding section.
- “Key Takeaways” at the end of every section echo and reinforce the preceding section’s “Learning Objectives.”
- “Looking Closer” features expand on topics that are both relevant and appealing to learners.
- “To Your Health” features describe how key topics relate directly to health issues.
- “Career Focus” features present a healthcare occupation to provide students with exposure to various healthcare career paths.
- “Chapter Summaries” highlight key concepts covered in the preceding chapter.
- “Additional Exercises” at the end of every chapter provide multiple opportunities for additional practice and reinforcement of the chapter’s content.
- Fully updated periodic table accounts for newest elements.
- Refreshed illustration program enhances clarity and visual appeal. Chemical structures have been redrawn to conform with American Chemical Society style.
General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry is suitable for the introduction to general, organic, and biological chemistry (GOB) course, usually called General, Organic and Biological Chemistry; Chemistry for Allied Health; or Chemistry for Nurses. The GOB course generally enrolls nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and other allied health students. It can be offered in one or two terms at the undergraduate level at both two- and four-year colleges and universities.
General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry is written for the two-term GOB sequence with a condensed version of the same book available for one-term courses. It is a comprehensive introduction written by three specialists in each area that comprises the subject. This book’s focus on accessible writing, useful pedagogical features, and addressing math anxiety make it an ideal introduction to core chemistry concepts in health and the life sciences.
Chapter 1: What Is Chemistry?
Chapter 2: Measurements
Chapter 3: Atoms, Molecules, and Ions
Chapter 4: Chemical Reactions and Equations
Chapter 5: Stoichiometry and the Mole
Chapter 6: Gases
Chapter 7: Energy and Chemistry
Chapter 8: Electronic Structure
Chapter 9: Chemical Bonds
Chapter 10: Solids and Liquids
Chapter 11: Solutions
Chapter 12: Acids and Bases
Chapter 13: Chemical Equilibrium
Chapter 14: Oxidation and Reduction
Chapter 15: Nuclear Chemistry
Chapter 16: Organic Chemistry: Alkanes and Halogenated Hydrocarbons
Chapter 17: Unsaturated and Aromatic Hydrocarbons
Chapter 18: Organic Compounds of Oxygen
Chapter 19: Organic Acids and Bases and Some of Their Derivatives
Chapter 20: Carbohydrates
Chapter 21: Lipids
Chapter 22: Amino Acids, Proteins, and Enzymes
Chapter 23: Nucleic Acids
Chapter 24: Energy Metabolism
Appendix A: Appendix: Periodic Table of the Elements
Appendix B: Answers to Exercises
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here
All Instructor Supplements will be available by March 30, 2020.
Homework System for this title will be live by March 30, 2020.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
Test Generator - powered by Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.